Years ago I scouted local-ish Astrophotography locations. Most are a long drive, making it daunting to return. Saturday night, I decided to go back one that had been on my mind for over a decade. I had read the Harvest Moon would be the brightest in five years. I don't shoot the moon very often. I checked some data, and decided it would be good to dust off my old camera. It had been a long time since I have gone on a photography road trip.
Although I never saw the Northern Lights the first night I was there. The trip was still worth it. I remember being in jaw dropping awe, while watching the enormous moonrise I happened upon. Perhaps it would happen again. You won't know unless you try.
Brad had planned on cooking a delicious meal. However, my wonderful husband changed his plans and decided to go with me. I was extra thankful he did! Later in the evening, a motorcycle passed by me. Shortly afterwards, the guy turned around and came back. It felt odd. I highly doubt he saw Brad sitting in the truck. The motorcycle pulled into the empty (except our vehicle) parking area for a while. Probably innocent. However with Brad there, I could focus on shooting the moon instead of worrying.
Saturdays evening sky was cloudy. I had my doubts. What if we drove all that way and didn't see the moonrise? Thankfully the closer we got to the boat launch area, the clearer the eastern sky became.
We arrived. Yikes! The waterway had overgrown and closed in. I had thought about bringing muck boots. You couldn't even SEE towards the East! Doubt I would have temped fate, in stinky muddy unknown water.
We went over to another spot, further down the road with a wide open view. It was on higher ground. The view was not what I remembered, but at least I could actually see the moonrise!
The best place to photograph was next to a low road bridge, flanked with double large caution signs. I prefer not to stand, walk or even be close to a road. I set my tripod up regardless, and stood back on a wide section of shoulder and waited.
I was SUPER excited when I spotted a sliver edge of the moon rising over the distant hillside!! I am sure the occasional passing car thought I was completely nuts.

rising fast
While watching the moon rise rapidly, I started to realize a fun shot *might* just happen. I kept clicking, watched and waited. In suspense.

I played with some camera settings, enhanced in post. The moon continued to rise in the direction of...

the sky was pretty and ever changing
Mosquitos started getting bad. Time to head home. If the water had been clearer I would have held out while swatting, for some reflection shots.

moon shot through some weeds
The evening light continued to change quickly. Manual camera settings need adjusting. My camera started picking up the sky as a solid darker royal blue. The moon was more white and defined. The shot below is probably my best shot of the actual moon. Taken with my trusty shorter 70-200mm lens. I used it on all these non-phone shots. In hind-sight I probably should have hauled at least my wider angle, and maybe my 100-400mm w/w-out adapter. Or both. Instead, I enjoyed less fussiness. Less bracketing. Less elusive perfect shot-ness.
All that to say, I like capturing moments with simple less processed photography. However I do crop, sometimes slide a value or two and have to sharpen (I shoot Raw) all my photos.

On the way home, I watched a few cool cloud veils masking the moon. I wanted to shout "pull over" LOL. It didn't last long, and the moon went behind thick clouds.
We were almost home when my phone told me the Northern Lights were active. Whatever. Our area was socked in with clouds anyways. After a long drive and a good night of photography, we were tired and hungry.








1 comment:
I am so glad you went for these photos! Love the way the moon is balanced on the tree, like a beachball on the nose of a seal.
You got a colorful moon, here it was just its usual shining silver, and very bright.
Post a Comment