10.03.2026

animal fall update

We have SO much going on with our animals that at times I think I have the human version of animal anxiety. If there even is such a thing. Our animals are constantly on my mind. Unless something requires focus, like working on Stained Glass. Worrying doesn't solve any thing. All it does is make me feel tired and sad.

This is your cue to run, or in this case scroll LOL.

There is nothing completely new going on with our animals. Cierra's allergies are still terrible, Koda is still lame etc. However, we have added complications. Nothing seems to really get resolved. We just keep trying "stuff". More decisions, and of course more money.

Maybe if I "talk" about it, my mind and heart won't be as restless?! 

................

Koda is going the wrong direction. He stopped wanting to go for walks after his last trim. Now his back end (hips?) are screwed up. Could be from laying down, an unfavorable move, over compensating or even standing on the hurt leg while trimming.

His September Acupuncture appointment lasted until he got trimmed.  A short two weeks. I feel terrible for him. He has spent too much of his life injured. After what felt like a long wait, Koda was to be treated for either a Chiro./Accu. yesterday. I intentionally only shared what we observed. Then patiently waited for the vet to give us her own suggestions. She is so wishy-washy! 

The vet thought since he usually responds well, it was best to stick with Acupuncture. She did however place needles in different locations. The four across his hips twitched like crazy. Koda really enjoys his treatments and continues to clearly choose Peppermint. He seemed brighter by evening.


Koda is scheduled to get updated x-rays along with Fall shots on October 8th
. I am hopeful Dr. W will bring a machine! I requested x-rays in the Spring with a different vet. We ended up with a worthless ultrasound, and an unhelpful care plan. 




Koda bear during a warm bath

................


Hope
 kicked high, hard and fast at her last trim. Again. However, this time she was not in heat. We are officially concerned about human safety and her well-being.

Brad asked me to come to his lesson at our trainers (Padame update to come) to discuss Hope with our 'er his trainer.

Considering Hope's past, we are unsure if these changes are behavioral or neurological/medical. 
She has been such a sweet easy horse, and still is for the most part. I would much prefer these changes be behavioral. No one wants an unsafe horse, but that is something that could be worked on/out. Her changes could be a result of strong hormonal heat, added to a three year olds fresh attitude. 


We are looking into sending Hope out for training. To build on the work Brad has done with her. It is not what we wanted, but is needed. For her sake and ours. However, first we need to rule out there is nothing medical going on. I am curious what the vet will suggest. Likely an MRI...ugh.



finding peace in Fall


................

Tank relapsed post CHOP chemotherapy. Earlier than the average dog treated with Lymphoma. It doesn't mean it didn't work. It means whatever cancer in his cells remained, grew back faster than expected. 

I remind myself without treatment, Tank would have most likely been gone last March.

Treatment side effects have been almost non-existent. A few days of loose stools scatter throughout the many months. The clinic staff and his Oncologist are amazing! They go above and beyond to make his clinic days less stressful. 


swimming at Devils Lake
9.18.26

He is currently doing a different regression chemo protocol. His body responded well and went right back into remission. We are painfully aware it won't last long. However, long enough to enjoy each and every Fall day with him. Making more memories with our big expressive guy is priceless.

Tank is a very happy dog and getting extra spoiled! Thankfully, animals live in the moment. I could write a book. He is loving his special meals, walks, barn duty, family dogs, endless sticks, stealing socks, vehicle rides and sleeping in our his bed. Between his two people.



Our happy boy


My hope is that our snow dog enjoys life long enough to do his pop up snow thing. It is doubtful, but it could happen. We are taking it one day at a time. 


................

With all of the above (and more) Quality of Life is a frequent discussion at my household. I am not looking for sympathy. Everyone has issues. With heavy things to sort and decisions to make. Please know it is far from doom and gloom here! I just haven't found that damn off switch in my head.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading. 
Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: