6.13.2021

sunday stills ~ looking up

What's not to love about a "looking up" photo challenge?!! You miss out on half of this beautiful world we live in if you don't take those words to heart. 

I had planned on shooting the solar eclipse 
(a partial eclipse for my location, during sunrise) that happened this week. I had a location all picked out, and even someone to go with me. Then I remembered, that you need eye protection and an appropriate camera filter. Too late. Sigh.


Bubbles (and Brad) to the rescue!! I waited until sunset, and found out the little cheapo handheld bubble blower I purchased for under $4 didn't work. Go figure. It is hard enough to shoot moving elusive things, without trying to create them yourself. As the evening light dwindled, my hubby saved me. I ran inside to get a bubble wand and he blew the bubbles, while I looked up.

After the fact, he told me he used the bubble machine solution with the wand, which must be thicker. It created some amazing colors!! Click to see them. 
Just like potato chips, I could not choose just one:





I changed the direction I was shooting the bubbles, to get more of a sunset background. I didn't get the sky color I was hoping for, but the bubbles made up for it. 



9 comments:

Val Ewing said...

So fun! Wow you are an action packed photographer!

I think bubbles are way more fun than trying to not watch/watch a partial eclipse.

Sunday Stills. Love it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So pretty!

Shirley said...

What a cool idea! I think the sunset background is a win.

aurora said...

Thanks! I wanted to try something different than what I usually shoot. I tried the frozen bubble thing once years ago, and used bubbles for a photoshoot once (resulting in one of my a fav portraits). I figured my grands could play with the bubble machine after I was done, but of course that would require it to work!

I can't get over the colors & wrinkles etc from the bubble solution. You have to zoom in to see them. They are a happy surprise.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Really pretty. Love the ingenuity of even thinking of bubbles.

I'm sitting here thinking I could never get my husband to blow bubbles for me to take photos. Brad's a keeper!

aurora said...

Thanks Arline :) I think Brad helped me out because the alternative was worse ~ listening to his wife have a melt down!!!

Linda said...

That is so cool!! Very creative! Seeing the world through bubbles.

threecollie said...

What a clever concept and lovely photos!

cdncowgirl said...

Those are great! What a cool take on the theme!