11.25.2020

things have changed, and yet are still the same

We have enjoyed a few more rides in our outdoor, but potential riding days are dwindling. It is getting colder, sunsets are earlier and late Fall light drops like a rock behind our pines. I really want to be further along with my comfort and skills, before another weather induced long break.

Last weekend we were in the 30's (F) and mostly sunny. Warm and dry enough to ride, except we didn't. Instead I jumped at the chance to help with our three grandkids on Saturday. On Sunday, the weather turned out not as inviting. It was also deer hunting opening weekend. Our arena is in a safe area, but one more thing in the back of my mind. Monday was our next chance to ride for who knows how long, before our predicted weather turned into this:
 


Tuesday November 24, 2020

Monday was brisk, and we headed out to ride later than I had hoped. Consequently I felt like I needed to rush to get a ride in before it got dark. You know the saying haste makes waste. So true. 

Not off to the best start. Koda was the only horse not coming up by the gate...he used to come up to the gate. I swung my saddle up and didn't get it in the right position...red flag, my shoulder was sore. Grumpy pants was a cinchy puff ball...I always tighten his girth little by little, walk him around and wait for him to de-puff. Not new, he has always done this. Then Koda lifted his leg and bonked my head while I was putting his boots on...pretty sure this was on me for rushing. 

I waffled between lunging him and asking Brad, because - same ol' story, my shoulder. I am a "suck it up butter cup" kinda gal, but over the years have learned to accept help. Brad offered to lunge Koda, I was humming-n-hawwing but said okay...I really want to just do everything myself. Meanwhile Cierra and I walked around in-hand, while he twirled my bucky boy.  Apparently we are back to "that" frame of mind. I instantly wonder if Koda is hock sore (has been in the past) or sore elsewhere, or just being a brat. He was moving fine. It was pretty close to supper time, and if you ask Koda no horse should ever have to wait for supper! I think it was the latter. Nothing New.

So what is new? The sh%t has started stepping away from the mounting block. Grrr!! Years ago I had a lesson horse mess with me at the mounting block. Consequently, it is one of my pet peeves!! I tend to adjust the mounting block so I am at just the right angle. Koda has picked up on my hesitation. I re-adjusted him once, treating it as a none issue. I always try to land gently. We stand mounted relaxing at the block, he gets praise. I don't want to fling my leg over and flop on, while he walks away. I want him to stand and wait for me. Instead it went like this: I step up. He steps his hip over. I step down, and "baaack up" we go. Reposition, whoa Koda! I step up. He steps over. I step down. Unexpected shoulder rein smack. WHOA! rein downward motion. Repeated sequence, twice. After I step up. He still steps over. Ugh! 


I know he got what he wanted, but...if Koda doesn't want to stand still then he can move. Okay so that wasn't exactly what he wanted, but it is what he got. Since I wasn't mounted, back to twirling we go. This time with me. Not to worry I did not lunge him into a lather, just a few active rounds moving at my pace each way. Koda was still sassy with bucky on again/off again moves. It didn't effect his lunging, but I decided not to ride. Brad offered to ride him, and we switched horses. Koda listened well under saddle for him (of course!) and they even loped (for the first time in years) a short stretch both ways. Guess I am not loping him first after-all :( It was my choice to wait until I get my seat back, or at least closer than I am now.

I still felt like a duck out of water walking Cierra around (because a fish is floppy, I just feel less than comfortable). I need to figure out my rides with her too. We switched back, and I did end up riding Koda. We walked around, cones etc. He intentionally refused to comply when asked to side pass over the poles. The little turd. Something he did flawlessly for me the first time I asked on our previous ride. I was a little puzzled but didn't make it an issue. We just went back to walking around. I tried again, and first ask - cross, cross, cross. Walked around, tried the other direction. He moved and crossed over like he can. We ended there. Koda makes everything so damn difficult. Our trainer has told me many times over, Koda makes me work way harder then I should have to. 

Brad has been so supportive while I try to find myself, and feel comfortable riding. I think he knows all too well now, the struggle is real. My thoughts linger on the rushed flawed beginning. He reminds me, I still rode. Regardless of all the earlier stuff. It is something.

Not every ride can be fun and flawless. That would be too easy. Koda makes sure I know this lol. My struggles are all on me (bangs head against wall). Among other things I didn't take my time grooming Koda (he got
 a rushed body brush offwhich he loves, and Koda has always had opinions about riding around supper time. Nothing new. I mumbled something about Koda will always require training. Brad replied, or is he always training us? Yep - things have changed, and yet are still the same.



Harmony & Koda heading for shelter from the rain
October 12, 2020


5 comments:

Shirley said...

Horsemanship is a journey... can't remember which trainer said it but "ride the horse you have that day, not the one you expect to have". Koda will keep you on your toes I think! I sorta wish you had a tried and true old soul kind of horse, so perfect for rebuilding confidence when you can just get on and enjoy the ride. But hey, life is full of challenges and that's what keeps us going. Koda will never be boring!

aurora said...

Yes, so true!! I've heard Richard Winters, Ken McNabb and Mark Rashad all say similar. I think all good trainers (and riders) agree and adjust to the horse that shows up that day accordingly. You have to, or you end up with a mess. Funny you should mention having a "tried and true" horse, I said the same thing the day we rode. I know some find them boring, but I wouldn't mind being bored once in a while ha ha!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's true that you have to ride the horse that shows up the day you take him out. But it would be nice to have a kind soul who was boring. I've had two really hard horses, one was a spooker (at everything) and Dusty well she was ok if you could get on her. She had mounting block issues to the point where one time she flipped herself over onto her back. She was a real brat. So now I have mounting block issues and Rosie doesn't. That's why I bought her. She will stand square and quiet until I get on. She has other issues that we're working on. But she's not a spooky horse either. So that's two plusses in her favor. Still every time we ride I think we are either training our horses or they're training us! Hang in there at least you are back in the saddle. Try to take your time and deep breathes and have a confident attitude. The more Koda is ridden the more confident you will be in him.

aurora said...

Pretty sure if Koda flipped over on his back I would be done riding him, and hopefully alive to tell about it. Our stream crossing accident was closer to that than I ever want to be, not a feeling I care to relive. Ever. Completely understand why standing like a rock was key in buying Rosie!! Koda has more whoa than go, with consistency I am hopeful we will get back to better unity.

Linda said...

Follow your heart and put in the time, and all will become clear. That is my fortune cookie for the day. Lol. But it’s true. I was so passionate about Cowboy that I was willing to do anything for him. And my gut told me he was a reasonable horse. Beautiful Girl got in that spin and buck and runaway and my gut told me she wasn’t going to be my riding horse. ...and it goes on and on with all my horses, each having their “thing” and me having my own baggage. Our journey is our own very unique experience, and our instincts are usually pretty good...when we listen and respect them.