11.09.2020

the very next day

After Monday's arena time and walk-a-bout, Koda wasn't first to the gate. Impatiently waiting for his staff to come get him. He wasn't pushy and trying to do everything himself. Koda's mind was quiet. Soaking in all the sights and experiences of the day. It is a wonderful thing!!

The very next day, back to the arena he went. The look on his face was something like "me? again??" meanwhile our other horses are jealous. Cierra and Nemo would gladly take Koda's place, and poor Harmony waits by the gate. Wishing it was her turn. Just once.

They all get loved on the way to gather my boy, and some day it will be their turn. But right now, it is still Koda's. As valuable as sporadic lessons throughout the past year have been, it is a consistent string that will connect the dots. The twirling sessions are getting shorter and shorter, the easier Koda listens to transitions.

I thought to myself, maybe today would be the day I hop on Koda? It should be me getting on him first. I was gearing myself up, but then saw him hunch up and get bucky while twirling on the rope. Yea, not today. Brad had gotten after Koda for being a slacker and he didn't care for that. The fresh was still there. It didn't take long for me to talk myself out of it. I never said anything out loud, but once again felt defeated. Story of my horsemanship life.

I was surprised when Brad asked for his halter. You are going to ride him?! Brad said he has a goal, and for the first time in 2 years and 4-ish months, Koda had a passenger!!




I love watching Koda under saddle, he is such a beautiful horse!! I know I frequently make him sound like a naughty unruly boy, but he really isn't when there is understanding. 

They had a nice sunset ride, walking and some trotting. Koda would frame up, and get ready...no lope. Lol. "What, slow down?! Walk, trot, lope, then I get to eat. That is how this arena stuff is suppose to go." Much to Brad's dismay, I coached just that from the side lines. He is used to working Cierra, and Koda hasn't been in training for many years.
 

Brad has become such a good rider, he has the confidence Koda needs to settle his mind. Horses know. I am not only glad he rode Koda first, I am thankful! All is well that ends well.



3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I predict that you will be riding Koda soon. He's getting back into his lessons and behaving. It's good that Brad rode him first and he will probably continue it a few more times before you're ready to get on. Koda will realize that he isn't retired and he has to get back to work and be a good boy for you. Don't get down on yourself for not being ready to get on. Truthfully, you should take little steps, that's what I've done. Just get on and let Brad lead him around, you'll get your confidence back a piece at a time. Good luck.

Shirley said...

Once again Blogger didn't put your posts in my reading list feed- naughty blogger! So I am playing catch up. You are blessed to have a horsey husband! Not only is he handy for building your ranch of dreams he is a horseman too! Don't fret too much about not getting on your horse yet, self preservation is a very strong instinct. Letting go and learning to trust again takes time.

aurora said...

Arline, you predicted right! I am trying to take things slow and let my muscle memory build back up. Koda is getting back into work mode faster than I am, and remembering to be a good boy.

I figured as much Shirley, but didn't want to be like "hey, I've been blogging..." ha haa! I rechecked my settings, not sure what else I can do on my side. There is no way I could or would even attempt to live out my/our dream horse life without Brad. I think I will keep him!!