9.01.2020

wrong side of the fence

For most of the year, our horses switch pastures every month. It is September 1st, time to switch. Brad closed the upper pasture gate and walked down the dry lot with Nemo to open up the lower pasture. Harmony got turned out next, then Cierra. The order varies, depending on who is done with breakfast. Brad turned Koda out last and noticed, Cierra was in the um bordering field - and not the lower pasture!
 

I was getting my morning coffee when I looked out the window and noticed Cierra on the wrong side of the fence! She has never been in the lower pasture. I wondered if she got scared and jumped the fence? Who knows, all I know is I had to get out to help. So I put on the first pair of shoes on I saw (my sandals) and grabbed a flannel shirt on my way out the door to throw over my PJ's. Who knows where I could end up walking, and it was in the 40F's. Our first brisk dewy morning in a long time.

Cierra was running the fence line trying to figure out how to get back inside the pasture. I was a bit worried when she got to the end (left of Nemo in photo below). The walking path continues and if you take the wrong turn it leads to other peoples wide spread back acreage. Including a large marsh. I grabbed a halter, just incase. After she did a little princess freedom prance, Brad was able to walk right up to her.

 


 Nemo running towards Brad & Cierra on their walk back


Brad knew exactly how Cierra got out. She walked through the wide open machinery entrance, on Brads left in the photo above. He is kicking himself. When he was with Nemo opening up the lower pasture, Brad was looking right at the open gate past the gate at the bordering field. He was deep in thought. He is considering making that a third pasture, because you know we don't have enough projects going on right now lol. I told him Cierra tested it out, and approves of it becoming a pasture.

It is nothing short of amazing that the other three horses didn't also run out the gate. If they did, I wouldn't be typing this right now. I would still be walking around following horses in my PJ's. Apparently the other three were just so happy to be down there, they went right to grazing. 

Nemo and Harmony came running up to greet Cierra and Brad:

 

 



I leave you with a video of our horses running back down to the lower pasture to enjoy fresh dewy grass, on the correct side of the fence. Koda is in the lead, Cierra and then Nemo. Harmony didn't join them. She must have been drinking water, or chillaxing after the first run. At the end of the video, Nemo runs back to encourage Harmony to join them. 







All is well that ends well. Have a great, little less exciting day!!

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well, that sounds like a fun morning! At least you didn't have to chase after the whole herd in your p.j.'s. And the good news is they all seemed to have gotten their daily exercise! Beautiful pastures by the way.

Shirley said...

They always find the open gate! Glad it was easily resolved!