9.25.2020

fall-ing into thought

Fall. The season that finds me reflecting, the most. About everything, but mostly about the year that is rapidly coming to a close. A year, most people in this world would prefer not to repeat. It hasn't been all bad for us, altho different for sure. Sadly this year continues to be SO very hard on way too many.

On a brighter note, now that it is Fall I can take me, myself and my thoughts back out to the woods!! Along with Tanky, and sometimes Brad and/or the grand dogs. I walk our woods as many days as possible throughout our three ever changing seasons, but rarely during Summer. Too hot and too buggy. Feels sooo good to back among nature! It is where I am happiest. I clear my head and fuel my soul. It is my church.

Tank leads the way on our walks.
He never goes too far ahead or strays, such a great dog!


Our cat-dog Leo found us walking among the pines.


Leo trying to keep up with Tank
(they are mid-right)


Our pine woods are on the opposite end of our property. I ended up carrying Leo back to the barn, he was panting. It was a warmer then usual muggy walk, right before rain. Leo was happy to hitch a ride back. Silly cat.


milkweed pods getting ready to spread wishes & seeds

Early Fall our outdoor arena use came to an abrupt halt. We had non-stop rain for close to a week, and then outdoor projects consumed our free time. The last few week/ends were spent landscaping, adding to our driveway and cutting/stacking wood. Getting close to being done with outdoor projects for the year. Then, hopefully we can get back to enjoying the outdoor arena before the rain turns into the S word! 



repurposed crates (from work) are easy to move
 and are perfect for drying stacked wood

We have enjoyed some gorgeous intermittent early Fall weather. Sunny days that cool down at night, perfect for sleeping with windows open. Warming up by our fire pit feels extra welcoming. Our trees are just starting to turn colors. We have mostly evergreen, with Oaks and a few other species sprinkled in. Oak savannah's are predicted to be predominant in the future, replacing pine woods in our area. Late summer we had a DNR forester review and walk our woods with us. He supplied more info than I ever imagined on how to care for our woods. I was happy to hear our trees are in good shape! It is important to me to take care of our land for future generations, an on-going project for as long as we live. 

I have hopes of eventually planting a prairie on an open area adjacent to the pines, with dreams of sauntering rides through changing terrain. Hope you are enjoying Fall and dreaming of a bright future as well!



beautiful Fall skies give me all the feels


3 comments:

Shirley said...

It's also my favourite time of year! Well, maybe spring too. The promise of new life in the spring, (and foals!) and the feeling of completion in the fall, when the garden is harvested, the foals are weaned, riding is more fun, and the sights and smells of the changing season.

Grey Horse Matters said...

This is the best time of year! I love autumn and wish it could last all year. Lately I've been walking more and actually got in a few rides on Rosie. So it's all good.

You've got beautiful woods to walk through. Love how Tank and Leo came along. Great idea for the wood too. Hope you get a ride in soon. Enjoy the weather.

Linda said...

We had a long summer and the first day that felt like fall was yesterday. Yay! Interesting that you’re able to reflect on this year. I still find it too painful to think about. I’m starting to wonder if it will ever be behind us, or if this is the way it will always be. I have an open state right next door, and we go there often to get a taste of what normal used to be like.

I’m happy to see you have such beautiful dreams. That’s what life is about. I have a few, too. Keeps me looking forward.

Enjoy your little bit of heaven! Happy Autumn!