8.28.2020

start at the very beginning

Where do you (re) start a horse that hasn't been worked in over two years? Well, you start at the very beginning. A very good place to start. When you read you begin with a-b-c. When you sing you begin with do-re-mi...oh, sorry. I am suppose to be blogging, not singing.

Now that our outdoor arena is done, we can begin the long road of getting back to where we left off. With hopes of going beyond, and living the dream of peacefully riding on our very own land. I wonder what that feels like?? Not having to haul anywhere, or deal with drama. The feeling of riding together with my horse, without fear. Is that even possible?!! That is one tall order for this girl. Time will tell.

Altho I have the knowledge and ability to restart Koda, and have several times (with much less time off) I asked Brad to work with him first. Koda is a tester, always has been and always will be. I don't need my nerves shattered and my shoulder injured to the point of needing surgery. Brad is much better with horses than I am, and more than willing to get all our horses going again.


For now, I am a spectator and assistant. Who tries, but sometimes fails at keeping comments to themselves. Either Koda is not used to Brad's lunging (which he isn't) has selective hearing, or slipped waaay back. I know every thing Koda learned and knows is in there somewhere, and will come back.

Between the heat, bugs and every other distraction of life it took a while for us to get working with our horses. We started using the arena August 17:



Koda was the first horse in the new outdoor

(Tank is not that lanky shape, my phone distorted the pic)

walking the perimeter in-hand


Koda did okay. He kept balking at something. I think a reflection shining off some metal junk our neighbors to the south have stacked near the property line. He wasn't listening very well when Brad lunged him, and would randomly bust out. Koda certainly wasn't horrible, but needs works. Consistently.

We can hear the horses calling from the pasture (most likely Mr. Nemo) but can't see them. This will be a change from their usual routine for sure. It is so good for them! 

Cierra was up next.
Brad just hopped on her, and away they went.


So hot, humid, dry and dusty.


It made me so happy to see him riding Cierra, at home! Below are a couple short video clips of their first ride, at home!! Yep, I said it twice, and I will say it again - at home!!!







Brads current plan is to work two horses a couple times a week before/after work, and once or twice on the weekend. We are still in the midst of multi large projects, with yucky summer weather - but off to a great start!! 


3 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh I can imagine how that feels! It's been 18 years since I have had my own arena in my back yard. I am so happy for you and Brad that all your hard work is finally paying off. Maybe he will let you ride Cierra once you get back in the saddle?

Grey Horse Matters said...

That’s great that Brad got to ride Cierra at home! Koda sounds like he’s in good hands and I’m sure he’ll be ready to ride this autumn. The hard part with horses is sometimes restarting them. Especially a tester like Koda. But you’ve got time and patience and your own riding arena so it’s all good. I’ve got to restart Rosie because I haven’t ridden her all summer. We’re lungeing today. Have fun and I hope you get back in the saddle soon!👍🏻😊

aurora said...

What a difference our own arena will make! Compared to loading tack, driving 40 minutes, unloading tack, tacking up, riding (and never knowing what conditions you find) and then doing it all in reverse. Of course just like working from home, it is easy to get deterred.

Yes, I think we will eventually both ride Cierra. I have ridden her in the past, but mostly walking trails. The hard part with arena riding is, Cierra is trained to move out like ranch horses. That girl can cover ground! I am not a ranch rider, and wouldn't want to mess with that. I would have to step up and "match the horse". I probably just wouldn't lope. Brad may or may not end up showing Cierra again in a few years. So, we will see. I love arena riding, almost as much as I love trails.