3.18.2019

Ignite Your Tank

It has been two years since we said good-bye to our remaining beloved dog,14.5 yr old Sam. It took us a long time to feel ready to open our hearts to another. Now that the chaos of a big move is over, we feel ready in more ways then one.  

Throughout the past two years we've had plenty of joy that only canine companions can offer. You may have noticed through shared photos that our grand dogs Remi (Bernaise Mountain Dog) and Jameson (black Lab) spend significant time with us. Especially Jameson, who grew up in our home. His mom is so busy, that he still lives with us most of the time. However, when we find ourselves dog-less we feel a huge void. Especially me. I get downright lonely, and feel safer with dogs around. To put it simply, I believe life is better with dogs!!

I've had mixed breeds, heinz 57, mutt's or as they are affectionately called now - rescues - my whole life. Even as a child. I began the arduous search to find the right young dog to adopt. I was looking for my favorite breed mix, a Labrador Retriever or German Shepherd. There are sooo many animals who need a home. Two common breeds, sounds easy right? Wrong!!

I applied to a local guide dog organization, because many dogs have career changes. I got a "we will keep you in mind" response...nothing more or less. One of their trainers was our reference, which apparently didn't make a difference.

I looked into a Labrador breed rescue, but they require a fenced yard. No exceptions. Say what?! I get it, but some of us dog owners are responsible off-leash owners. Something I feel firmly about. I didn't even bother applying.

I payed money to apply to a really good local rescue, who did nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the dog I applied for got adopted before we got close to getting through the lengthy process. 

The adoption process these days includes a vet & two personal references, a home visit and then board approval. We did get approved, but that is as far as we got. I have yet to see another dog similar to what I was looking for, without Plott Hound mixed into it. We had never heard of a Plott HoundI learned our area rescue's bring all their dogs up from down south. Plott Hounds are the State dog of Louisiana. I have no doubt they are wonderful dogs, but hounds are not for me. The remaining adoption process would have included requesting to adopt a chosen dog, and visiting the foster families home if selected as a potential match. If still interested in adopting after going to meet the dog, and waiting for a grace period, the foster family approves you for adoption (or not). Wow, adoption sure has changed!! 

I applied at another rescue after finding a litter of lab mix puppies, two weeks before they were brought up from Texas. I heard crickets. I followed up knowing the lengthy process we had to go through again. They hadn't even contacted my references. Only after my phone call did they contact our vet. Once again I heard nothing. Our personal references were never contacted, and yet I saw a couple of the puppies from that litter posted repeatedly on Facebook as "still needing homes" weeks after they arrived and I applied. Grrr!! I guess we weren't the right kind of owners (roll eyes)...and this is where I gave up on *trying* to adopt. 

After my experiences, I am left with the feeling that "Adopt Don't Shop" is pretty much the same damn thing as selecting a breed dog. A little less expensive (adoption prices ranged from $375-$475) with a whole lot of headache & disappointment. Of course I know the difference between the two, but IMO you are still "shopping" and let me tell you, rescue organizations, including humane societies, make it close to impossible to adopt!!! 

I decided to try something different and was in contact with a couple recommended lab breeders. With one the pups were all spoken for, another litter didn't take. I had all but given up on owning a dog. 

We recently attended a banquet, and found myself sitting next to a hunting guide. She guides for Brad, and he really likes her dogs. She contacted her dogs breeder, who happened to have one last pup looking for a home. In a matter of minutes, she found us a potential dog!

The puppy was 3.5 hours north of us. It took us a couple weeks to go see him. First the weather prevented travel and then Brad had back issues. I really wanted Brad to be part of the decision. The breeder held the pup for us, without commitment or deposit. Neither one of us can figure out why the not so little guy was left for last. She thought he would be the first to go, because of his color. It is lighter then most yellow labs. We fell in love with him instantly! He is not only a handsome fellow, but extremely sweet and smart. We met his brother, who was sold but staying at the breeders for training. We both agreed that we would have chosen our guy before his litter mate. 

He was given the name Tank. It seems to fit him, so we kept it. I know it's a bit out of the norm, but we registered his official name as "Ignite Your Tank"...here is our new boy:


10 weeks
Photo we received at banquet from breeder

First day home
Tank 12 wks & Jameson 6yrs


We are all adjusting to our new lives together. Tank is keeping us more then busy, as all puppies do. With the turn of events, we believe he was meant for us. Tank has stolen our hearts!! 


6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Tank is adorable! I love him. What a face. And Tank is a perfect name for him. Good luck with all the puppy stuff. They’re a lot of work but they’re worth it. It sounds like it was meant to be for all of you.

Shirley said...

Yes life is better with dogs! That unconditional love is great therapy no matter what life throws at you! So happy for you, Brad and Tank!

Mrs Shoes said...

We had the same experience with 'adopting' a 'rescue'... the process is so intrusive that I'm sure many are soured by it. We also tried the local humane society - no fenced yard, no dog, no exceptions. What a crock of bs - the farm has a fence ALLLLL the way around the perimeter. Obviously not good enough for some specific dogs and obviously meant for town or city adopters, but neither does that type of policy allow for the use of common sense or discretion.
Long story short, we bought our last two dogs also, and we're not ashamed to say so.

Tank is a cutie, can't wait to see what shenanigans he gets up to!

Linda said...

Oh, he’s adorable!! What a horrible process to go through to adopt!! Personally, I am not one of those who sees adoption as superior to buying a breed dog—breed dogs often get purchased by people who don’t know what they’re getting into and end up in rescues. Anytime you give a dog already born in this world a quality forever home, you have done it right. I also think what is meant to be happens—which sounds like your case. I’ve known people who adopted dogs and it was the perfect timing and perfect soul and everything came together. We adopted a rehomed Wolfhound, and he truly fell into our lap at the exact right time. His breeder had to take him back from the owner as a two year old—which is heartbreaking for a wolfhound—and she was thrilled to give him a home like ours to mend his heart. She stopped by to see him last Saturday. ❤️ (She told us he’s too fat and we need to put him on a diet, but hey!)

Enjoy that sweet little PERFECT just right angel you have been gifted with! ❤️❤️❤️

C-ingspots said...

Oh my gosh - he is just adorable!!! :) I am SO happy for you guys! I agree that dogs just make life better. Totally! I can't imagine how anybody wouldn't fall in love with him immediately. Oh be still my heart...yellow labs are my absolute favorite! (remember my Annie?) Perfect dogs...except for that tiny incident over eating my lilac tree. Forgiveness, nobody's perfect! I am so, so happy you got a dog. Now your happy little homesite is complete. :)
And then on that other topic, I also could not be more in agreement with you. Rescues. What a complete and total scam. They are in the business of selling dogs, pure and simple. The adoption process is ridiculous and truthfully, without knowing someone personally within the organization, you don't stand much of a chance at ever living up to their criteria. They easily pass over so many good, potential homes who would welcome and love a dog to the family, but it's almost impossible for anyone to be that "perfect" and meet all their obligations. We were rejected by Gold Bond Rescue, which re-homes Goldens, and they didn't even have the courtesy to call and let us know. We just waited and waited and this was after the in-home visit, and the fenced yard and everything else they had us do. Our list of references was lengthy and included 3 different veterinarians whom we'd known and used for years. We were heartbroken and will never go through them again. It's so sad because there's so many in need of homes and they prevent many potential families. Makes me soooo mad! But enough of that - you found the perfect puppy!! I love Tank!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

congratulations he is adorable! I feel like rescues can be a little "drunk on power" making arbitrary decisions without common sense or research. Not all but really I cannot imagine why folks like you would be turned down