12.12.2017

build-a-barn ~ Fall update

Our barn sat dormant for weeks at a time during the Fall. Everyone's intense focus was catching up on our house. We lucked out and had an unseasonable warm Fall!! Just like the barn, building progressed in layers. Scheduling is tricky and takes insight to be done smoothly. Whenever someone had a lull, barn work got done.

It's been so long since I've done a barn update, I had to go back and check where I left off. It was early October, and we had just poured the wood plank porch...


front porch drying

Brad marking the ceiling spots for our two barn fans
Our son (Colten) helped Brad get the fan stems mounted
by setting a secure block via the crawl space.
It had to be done before the barn ceiling can be insulated,
which remains on the to-do list.

Mid November a concrete approach was poured at a slight incline,
butting up to the stamped concrete porch.
Looks kinda goofy, but will blend the driveway into the barn for easier loaded etc.
side view

Brad built out (furrowed) the bottom of the porch columns, to prep for stone. We are using the same stone as the front of our house, and the columns look similar. It will help tie them together. Finishing the exposed porch truss also remains on the low priority to-do list.


Both Brad & Colten put in multiple days over several weekends moving dirt & sand, around both the barn and house. Of course Brad puts in double the time everyone else does, but I love that our son wants to help. What a difference their hard work makes!!


View from the barn porch to the future horse shelter, and pastures.
Which still need fencing, also on the to-do list.
Notice a common theme, lol!
 The auto water will connect to the black tube in the middle.
view from the other side
the last not so little pile of dirt
It was a huge job to spread the many piles, and even out the land using small equipment. Our son really wanted us to do it, instead of hiring out. There were sooo many large mounds everywhere! I throughly enjoyed climbing & shooting photos from them while we had our mini-mountains, however everything looks much nicer without them!! 

Colten framed the back wall of the saloon
to make it easier for wiring 
(iphone)
my guys got half the saloon ceiling done, last weekend (iphone) 
Brad is almost done with the wash stall. Just a little trimming left.
Almost ready to hook the water up! 
(iphone)

Our electricians have been working on/off wiring the barn.
 They installed some of our waterproof LED ceiling lights!
We can hose those baby's down, and the risk of fire is much less.
(iphone)

Thankfully only a couple side wall lights were mounted (see wash stall photo) to see how we like them, and if we needed to add more then planned. They are so bright you gotta wear shades! The couple lights that are mounted on the wall, will get moved to the ceiling.
I was worried about remaining holes, but I guess they plug them and it isn't noticeable.

Now that I am close to being done with picking out stuff for the house (thank god, what a pain in the a$$ that has been) I can get back to the barn! No clue why the barn feels fun, and the house feels like a pain. I need to pick out the barn bathroom vanity & lights. Something rustic, simple and self standing. They are all so expensive!! It might just cost less to have one built. Haven't found the right one, still searching. 

We are now officially up to date with posts!! I have no grand tie-in ending photo, so I'll just end with a recent view from the back of our barn. Our baby albino twin (other twin is brown) is growing fast!

Three Shades of Deer

4 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! 👍 I totally understand why you are more excited about the barn!! What a barn! One time we almost bought a house / barn. The land was locked between a lot of other homes, or we would have. That would be my dream, to combine barn and home. I hate that I can’t have Cowboy nearer to me, especially knowing he and I are the herd he has. If I had your barn, I’d never leave it!! How will you ever go to work once your place is finished??

Grey Horse Matters said...

You’ve come a long way! The barn looks great. I can understand how the house stuff is a pain and the barn stuff is fun! It’s fun to imagine the horses in there and hanging out with them.

aurora said...

Linda, I thought your horses lived on your property (with a barn) and you used a neighbors indoor arena? We are absolutely looking forward to having our horses close by! It will be a first for us, unless you count our short trips up north. When our horses used to lived by us, they were across a very large field. We could see them, but at a distance. I am fortunate these days I don't have to leave on a regular basis. I am semi-retired and back to freelancing.

I catch myself day dreaming all the time Arliene, wondering what it will be like when we actually live there?! Feels like we've been building forever!

Mrs Shoes said...

Great progress!
Albino deer are quite a rarity, I believe; you're lucky to have one around.