8.15.2017

miraculous recovery

The first five days were long. They included a lot of worry, x-rays, tourniquets, antibiotic infusions, long hours, multiple shots of antibiotics multiple times a day, and more worry.

The following ten days would reveal the general outcome of Koda's accident. If he recovered quickly, he would most likely be completely rideable again. The longer the puncture wound was problematic, the less likely he would be rideable. 

At the end of the five days he got switched to oral antibiotics twice a day, and our trainer began changing his bandage every other day. It is really hard not being able to completely take care of my boy! But I have to trust, and let others help. It's part of life. I remember the day I learned that hard lesson as a young adult. 


Brad & Koda
walking-n-walking-n-walking
We also tag-team hand walked Koda twice a day. I would walk him once, and our trainer did a second time. Around 30-40 minutes each. Walk a little, graze a little, walk a little more, graze a lot more. The latter part of our walks were spent mostly grazing. It kept Koda from going crazy. He had a couple days, where the cool breeze and running horses created excess energy, but he managed to keep it together. The last few days Brad helped, and we walked Koda together. My arm is soooo sore, even little tugs on a lead hurt. Tomorrow I have an appointment with Orthopedics, to face reality. 


the many colors of Koda
Yesterday was our ten day follow-up. We got miraculous news! Koda got cleared for turn-out!! *surprise* The punctured part of the wound is closed, and his leg can now be exposed to fresh air during the day. The influx of antibiotics has held off infection, a main concern. Late afternoon it will get cleaned, and have a topical antibiotic ointment light wrap applied overnight. If his x-rays are good at an upcoming four week appointment, he will be cleared to ride!! 

I truly believe the hand walking made the difference. We did way more then they asked us to do (5-10 minutes of walking once a day) without over doing it. That's where the grazing came in. What difference does it make if he is standing in his stall, or in a lawn? A lot if you ask Koda, for different reasons. Mobility is key with a healing tendon shield, to keep scar tissue from restricting movement. I think we accomplished that. 


my beloved guys
One more week to go....so far it's been a miraculous recovery, in half the expected time. 

11 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

I'm just catching up, but....I am soo glad Koda is recovering so well. Puncture wounds can be terrible to deal with, I am fairly sure that it was a tiny, tiny puncture wound that caused all of Ramsey's foot problems. I am so happy for all of you that Koda is better and I hope you take care of your arm and heal up just as well.

C-ingspots said...

Whoohoo!! Such wonderful news!! :) I'll bet you're soooo relieved, and also so very thankful. Hopefully you'll get good news about your arm too. Thank God that miracles still happen every day.

Anonymous said...

Great news! All of your care and attention is really paying off. Best wishes for a continued recovery - and good luck in figuring out your arm.

Linda said...

Yay!! I am so happy to hear this news! I've been in a similar situation, but with a longer wait and see time, and I'm still riding and loving my miracle. Sometimes, these things have a way of making our love grow even deeper. And our gratitude for every extra moment. Keep up the good work and I hope you get good news about your arm.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm so happy to hear this wonderful news about Koda. I'm sure the hand walking played a big part in his recovery. It was not only good for his wound but I'm sure it was good for his mind. Keep us updated on his progress. Hope you have good news about your arm. Good things come in three's so 1. Koda, 2. your arm will be fine and 3. Koda will be able to be ridden soon. Fingers crossed.

aurora said...

Thanks for sharing the joy! It really was unexpected, and such relief. I will need rotator cuff surgery, but for now am cleared to ride cautiously. I should be able to start Koda's riding rehab, and then...well. I'll be restricted for a while. But, it's the price we pay to do the things we love most.

Mrs Shoes said...

Good news! Fingers crossed for the trend to continue. {{squeezy internet hugs}}

Linda said...

Glad you're cleared to ride at least for a little while!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good to hear you can ride for a bit before your surgery. Take care of yourself.

Shirley said...

How did I miss this post!
Good news on Koda, such a relief. I hope your surgery goes well- I've been praying for your recovery (and Koda's) and will continue to.

aurora said...

It's easy to do Shirley. Thanks much for the prayers, you are sweet. Not going to lie, it's turning out to be a painful long road. Can't wait to put it behind me!