6.15.2017

it's hard to say no

When you are tagged in a foal video of Cierra's half sister, because they have similar dispositions, and a breeder/friend you trust gives you first dibs on a special baby horse, it is really hard to say no.

We were not looking for a new horse, but we drove 1.5 hours one way to visit in person anyways. Mostly to visit our friend at her new place & see her kids again. But yes, to see the foal. It had been a good six years since we had seen each other, unless you count a brief encounter at fair. We used to meet for lunch, years ago before life & jobs changed. I thought maybe the foal would sweep my off my feet, and I couldn't live without her. We could possibly board her there, or at our trainers. 

But we came to our senses. We would never see her. The timing just isn't right, and that speaks to me. We are in the middle of building two forever buildings, then moving, along with everything else that needs to happen with our current house, work, and life in the next year. It just wouldn't be fair to anyone, especially this sweet foal.

There were a good 5-6 horses, all three babies, to a two year old, to a broodmare, to the former stallion (foals daddy, was gelded by a different owner before she bought him back) that could have come home with me. I don't know how she does it, her horses are all sweet and good natured. You should see how gentle they are with her little kids, and no - it's not a gimmick. Here is her webpage, they also do horse transportation. I highly recommend them for either.

For those of you into bloodlines, here is the foals & Cierra's dams pedigree. The mare is foundation. Here is the foals stud pedigree. And here are but a few of the photos from our fun, memorable visit...







Yes, I am still trying to get her out of my head. Can you blame me? Next year, there will be a whole new crop of foals - and we will hopefully be settled into our new place. Where we can love on them every single day. Doesn't make it any easier to say no.



9 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Adorable! I'd have a hard time saying no. But luckily you have more common sense than me and more willpower. There's always next year when you're all settled in to your forever place.

aurora said...

I know, but for some reason it is weighing heavy on my mind...this whole things just came out of the blue.

Hopefully you guys figured out I had a typo - my post was suppose to say 1.5 hours distance, not 1.5 miles!! I would have read that and thought, what is this lady's problem? She could walk 1.5 miles to see the foal lol!! Needless to say, I fixed the typo.

Linda said...

Oh my, I don't think I could say no to that baby. The way you described this family and their horses, and those pictures..I don't blame you for continuing to think about it.

Shirley said...

I love the mare's pedigree- I'm a fan of foundation bloodlines and a lifetime member if the FQHR. The studs lines are ok but not my cup of tea, but he sure throws nice babies. I would have fallen for this little beauty!

aurora said...

You guys aren't helping lol!! I almost wish I hadn't taken any photos...

Linda, if you do Facebook my link is on the sidebar. There are some special photos from our visit posted on there. I may share more of them here, but then again maybe not. Every time I look at them I get wishing again.

I agree Shirley. Our friend knows that mare has a home with us, if ever needed. She has a great disposition! Not a very pretty head, but who cares. We aren't really into the sires lineage either, but I have to say - the offspring we've met have good demeanor and very pretty to boot! The sire is so sweet, both Brad and I really liked him.

It is going to take a herculean effort to get past all this! No more friendly horse breeder visits!! Until maybe next year ;)

Mrs Shoes said...

Adulting is hard sometimes. :-)

aurora said...

Yes, it definitely is!

C-ingspots said...

Oh my gosh!!! :) That is a beautiful foal, and I can only imagine how hard it was to walk away from her. I know it would have been for me! She sure is going to be a beautiful mare when she grows up too. However...I totally agree with your decision, difficult as it was. Babies, if they're expected to grow up and be good, sensible and trustworthy adults; take a LOT of time and effort. Consistency is key. They deserve nothing less than that. You're so right about the timing. You guys have your hands more than full with everything right now...but Lordy, look out when that barn and that house are finished! My advice to you? Do NOT build more stalls than you want to fill up with horses! Been there, done that. :)

aurora said...

Sage advice Lorie!! We will definitely have to use control when we move, especially because our barn is set up to be expandable for future potential...

I've been asked "how many stalls are we putting in" many many times. Answer: 6, plus a double with removable partition. Four are already taken. Which is followed by "why so many stalls, are you getting more horses?" Yes we will, followed up with reasons why - because I get "the look". We will never become "horse hoarders" I've seen how that sad story ends, but we will be adding to our herd family :) reasonably.

Truth be told, we can't get this little cutie out of our minds...we will remain strong! I think?!