12.21.2014

hand made Christmas equine cards

Sending wishes in the form of hand made cards has all but become a lost craft. Online photo cards are now the norm. These days I receive more of them, then even standard boxed holiday cards. I get it, anyone can create them. Photo cards are a simple way to showcase you & your's, and if you are a labeler, you don't have to write or sign a thing. No doubt, a relief for many in this busy crazy world we live in. Digital anything is fantastic, and who doesn't like to see smiling faces when they receive snail mail?!! Much more fun then opening bills.

While grumbling talking to my mom the other day, surrounded by mounds of carefully selected card parts, I mentioned I had no idea why I was spending countless hours hand making cards, that people promptly throw away December 26. Hardly anybody hand makes cards anymore. With her wise wisdom she said "it's something you enjoy, so just keep doing it"...thanks mom! I almost forgot. I really do enjoy the creative obsessing, process of details, searching for that one missing thing, even the methodical hand work of doing the same sequence 30 times in a row, and finally seeing it all come together in the end!

My cards all start with the photo. This year I wanted to feature Cierra. I've taken many photos of her this past year, but this one stood out. Such a happy beautiful girl, that loves galloping across the field. Then comes finding a sentiment that fits, the hardest part for me. Some years I flip flop the order, and find or take a picture to fit a pre-purchased saying. If I find stamp messages I like, I buy them. I am p-i-c-k-y, and they are hard to find. Enhancing photo's digitally, is always a delicate balance. I was able to make the grass kinda sparkle, and had way too much fun adding warped floating snowflakes! When I do volume, I print out of house since printer ink is so expensive. Card stock is matched, selected, trimmed to size and glued in place. I usually add more background layers, but not this year. I stumbled across a new snowflake corner punch, sitting all by itself. I think it had my name on it? I've never used die cuts on actual photos prior to this card. I'm so glad I experimented. I had previously found snowflake embellishments, in the button aisle, but wasn't going to use them. As you can see, I changed my mind. Something that happens frequently throughout the card making process. A person really can't have a saying like "Sparkle and Bright" and not add sparkles to the words, right? that doesn't take any time at all...and wouldn't it look nice to glue a crystal in the middle of the snowflake? It was then I realized, I must be nuts!!

But it truly makes me smile inside to see my handmade cards. My mom leaves them up all year long, and occasional I hear sincere comments from friends that also display them. If not with these, perhaps other cards I've created just for them. Photo cards, handmade or digitally, are a snap shot that chronicle where we are in our life journey. Many times the chosen photos have special meaning, that only those closest understand. Special memories, captured in time, taking us back to that feeling...







Merry Christmas blogger friends, wishing each of you a sparkling bright 2015!!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card! And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

aurora said...

Merry Christmas Kate! Thanks for sharing your equine wisdom throughout the past year!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful card! I know if I got one of your handmade cards I'd surely save it because you were thoughtful enough to care and Mae it special. (I save all my grandkids homemade cards etc.)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Grey Horse Matters said...

(Make) hate spell check!

aurora said...

Merry Christmas Grey Horse! I bet your grandkids love making you cards, knowing what they mean to you. I'm with ya on the spell check, I have a love hate relationship with it.

C-ingspots said...

It's a beautiful card. I always enjoy getting Christmas cards in the mail. Guess I'm just old-fashioned, but it's tradition for me. Merry Christmas to you Aurora, Brad...and all your critters!!

aurora said...

Merry Christmas Lorie! Looking forward to sharing another bloggin' year in 2015!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Those are beautiful!

aurora said...

Thank you Sherry! It's rewarding to slow down & be creative. Cheers to an Appy New Year!!