5.06.2012

Sunday Stills ~ Vintage

The challenge this week was to photograph something that is vintage, to us. I am not much of a collector of things that I would consider vintage, but I do have a couple that are very special to me.


When I turned fifteen, my mother gave me the ring her parents gave her when she had turned fifteen. They had it made for her from a tie pin my grandfather was awarded. While it's not big and fancy, it is very ornate with cut out sections, as jewelry was in the 40's in Spain. My grandfather died on my sixteenth birthday. I haven't been able to pass it on, yet.

ring

I believe the brass weights below are from 30's. They bring back fond memories of helping weigh bulk items on a counter top scale in my grandparents corner store. It was one of the few things I could do to help while visiting them for the summer in Spain, after all I was only twelve. They eventually sold the store (it's a neighborhood restaurant now). I asked if I could have a couple of the smaller weights as a keepsake, they thought it was an odd request. While weighing bulk items with weights is an era gone by, the weights themselves haven't changed a bit. 

weights

11 comments:

Eva @View from the Hillside said...

Very nice looking ring.
I remember a few country stores having brass weights like that when I was a kid.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful ring! Your photographs are excellent! :)

MTWaggin said...

Absolutely wonderful post and that ring is STUNNING!

Ed said...

Great post and excellent macros.:-)

aurora said...

Aww, thanks guys! Kind of a personal post, but...that's what vintage is all about - sharing the past.

Barb said...

That's a great story. Love that little ring and those brass weights....well, they are part of that great story. Nice pictures, too.

The Dancing Donkey said...

The ring is beautiful and I like the weights. The simplest and most useful tools always seem to have such quiet elegance.

WildBlack said...

Great post! Wonderful shots :)

Terry and Linda said...

YES! A perfect subject!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Ebie said...

Aurora, the ring is such a treasure and a precious gift!

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

What a lovely memory to share and it (and your pictures) are certainly perfect for the "vintage" challenge. It's cool that you remember helping out in the store -- those are great childhood memories.