6.20.2023

koda's lameness ~ 2 of 2

A continuation of this post. The care plan we agreed on to treat Koda's ongoing lameness included injections. Yes, plural. Three to be exact. One shot of RenoVo went into his straight sesamoidean ligament (ouch!) and the other two went near his navicular bone. Two shots on his right foot, and one on his left. Our vet didn't feel there would be any benefit on Koda's old left side injury.


RenoVO recruits self healing, similar to stem cells

No clue how Koda tolerated all the shots, but he did. While giving Koda his third shot our vet said "with all the pokes I've given you, you have every right to kick me. I would." Even sedated and numbed, shots in such a tender area are felt.

To make sure the injections went into the correct spot, ultrasound was used for the ligament and xrays for the navicular.


Koda's ligament tear is only .15 cm


Koda was to remain stalled the rest of the day. Before the vet left, he went to look at Hope. It is interesting watching the professionals size her up. They look at her from one angle, then another, then from behind etc. Their heads tilt and you can see their wheels turning. Our vet said "she is something special" :) I will be sharing a Hope update one of these days.




visiting Hope and Cierra


There is a difference of opinion on lameness recovery methods from the powers that be. The MRI vet is strictly about stall rest, and then a hand walking program. Our trainer is of the same school of thought. However, our vet feels stall rest is not always ideal. It makes horses crazy, and they do endless tight circles etc. He is not advocating letting horses run wild, instead he favors low key movement 


I agree with our vet. Stall rest is not automatically the best routine. We have done the stall rest/hand walking program with Koda before. I had a terrifying experience when he turned into a nut case, after a long stalled recovery period. Knowing the horses and living situation helps determine which recovery method may be best. A smaller paddock would be ideal.


We had the go ahead for Koda to be on a normal turnout routine starting the very next day. With reevaluation in 8-10 weeks. We were forewarned to expect Koda to be lame at first, maybe even worse. He was worse. It made me feel horrible. I thought "what have I done...". Koda kept putting his nose down by his right foot. My response "I know buddy. We gave you some shots, to try and help you. I am sorry..."


Koda was SO lame, there was no way I was turning him out. He wouldn't be able to walk to the pasture anyways. The indoor isn't far from his stall. With some encouragement, he hobbled to/from.



walking from arena, post day 1
(13 sec)

For the first time, Koda came over to me looking for comfort. Asking for a hug, with his big head resting on my shoulder. He has given me many horsey hugs over the years, but this felt different. Koda really is a sweet horse, when he isn't being a naughty little kid.



walking better
(11 sec)

It was encouraging to see Koda felt well enough to interact.



Leo sympathizing with Koda

I watched Koda hobble across the arena to play with the ball. He loves playing with it! I doubt we will ever be able to play soccer together again. Maybe.



(12 sec)


We kept Koda inside for a couple days with twice daily indoor turnout. Once he was walking better, the day came for turnout with Nemo and Harmony. It went well. Until it didn't.

While walking Cierra and Hope inside, the pasture shenanigans started. I watched helplessly as Koda turned, spun, kicked and ran...damn it!! We couldn't stop them (it wasn't all Nemo) until we had the other two inside. That was the first and last time Koda has been turned out with Nemo. 


Fast forward.

I wish we had good separate turnout options, but we don't. Yet. Brad is working on the area behind the arena, but it takes time. Cierra and Hope's paddock is only used in the morning. They also require a separate turnout space. In the afternoons, their paddock becomes a hot sweltering fly pestering area. The reason Cierra & Hope also come inside mid to late morning on most days.

We live on a land of sand and sunshine. There are pro's & con's with everything. We do the best we can, with what we have to offer.

Koda's current recovery routine is turnout in the morning with Harmony. He gets swapped out for Nemo mid to late morning. Koda goes into the indoor for a short time in the evening while we clean out his stall (again). We feel this care routine is in Koda's best interest. Certainly not ours. It is a PIA to swap out horses etc. Chores have become an off/on daylong activity. Every. Single. Day.


We continue to receive no rain. Our pastures and fields are yellow and dormant. We aren't dry, we are parched. Add the fire smog filled air and all our horses want to be inside. Which is unusual. 


Tomorrow will be two weeks post shots. Is Koda better? Hmmmmm. Good question. I wish I could say he was "magically better" but he isn't.

Sometimes Koda seems to walk better, other times he is the same lame horse. All in the same day, or even walk. RenoVO likely works miraculously for some injuries. However, my understanding is the straight sesamoidean ligament is difficult to heal. We have to give it more time. I will be curious to see what the reevaluation reveals.


No magic happening here.




6 comments:

Linda said...

I hope you get better news soon. It’s hard waiting and not seeing forward progress, but things can change for the better so quickly, too. If it doesn’t, you will at least know you tried your best. Enjoy every moment with your sweet boy.

I’m looking forward to your Hope update! She is definitely something special.

Shirley said...

I feel for you- it's heartbreaking to see them so lame. I sure hope things improve for him soon.
I sure do agree with the vets about Hope- she is something special.
We do what we have to when it comes to chores. Whatever it takes to make things work as smoothly as possible. I sure hope you all get some rain soon. We too are on a sand base, and the moisture just disappears. However, we're on several days of heavy rain and things have smartened up.

TeresaA said...

I feel your pain on trying to manage restricted turn out in less than ideal conditions. I also agree that stall rest can be worse than the original cause. I really hope that this helps him.

Val Ewing said...

I know how hard it is on you personally to go through this with Koda. Thanks for being such good owners to your horses.

aurora said...

Thank you all, for being so supportive. I know you can relate. Time will tell if our latest efforts made a difference.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Care for animals is sometimes overwhelming and then wondering if you are doing the right thing. Hard to see them suffering and unable to help. Hopefully everyday will be a bit better for Koda!