3.05.2022

crunch crunch

Every day is a new day. I am trying to embrace this mantra.

There is renewed importance and beauty in each and every day. Right? Oh, and lots and lots of things to be done. Always. SO many things to be done. I try to do something meaningful (to me) and something that feels like a step in the right direction.

I've been asking myself, what am I going to do with this one beautiful day?

Even when things don't appear so beautiful.

My uglies are so insignificant and pale in comparison to bombs dropping in the streets. Terrifying!! My mom told me stories of living through the Spanish Civil war and having a bomb dropped on their street. They stayed safe in the basement/bomb shelter of my beloved grandparents corner grocery store. My aunt was born in that shelter. All of them, gone now. 

I digress. Back to the present.

Our walks continue to consist of crunch, crunch but things are getting better.

In more than one way.


looking for secure footing in endless pockets of field ice



Tank doesn't mind the ice but I walk the path borders


some areas are best left for another day



unless you take a path less traveled

Why didn't I think of cutting through the woods sooner?! One would never guess most of these photos were taken on the same day (March 1).

There is beauty, if you look...



frozen polka dots appeared everywhere
from drippy trees 

only for one day



ice patterns formed across frozen puddles

how do ice patterns even happen?

We had a morning meeting and Brad surprised me by talking the rest of the day off yesterday!

On our way into town to run errands, we came across a fox curled up just a few feet off the road.

Not everything you see is beautiful.



poor mangy fox :( he looks so miserable

We didn't do anything super spectacular, but getting a few of those "steps in the right direction" done felt good.

Brad even walked the woods with us!! I forgot how enjoyable it is to be in nature with another human.



we are starting to see old puff balls & other fungi start to re-appear



Harmony found one of few dry places to rest

Today will likely be an indoor crunch crunch kinda sorta day. We are having turbulent weather. A high of 58F with heavy rain, thunder and high winds predicted.

I might walk in between raindrops. It will still be a beautiful day. 

What will you do with your one beautiful day?







6 comments:

Shirley said...

Always look for the beauty, you will find it! And you found lots!
I think you will like what I did with my beautiful day today.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's always a good time to look for the beauty in everyday life. We had a beautiful sunrise this morning with the sky striped in pink and white the sun looked like a fire ball. The rest of the day was spent working around the farm and house as usual but I did get some things done that needed doing. I like how you always look for the good when it's so easy to grumble about the bad weather and such. I do wish our place would start melting a little.

Linda said...

Getting out in nature is always the best medicine. I feel pretty helpless watching the news. The war began at the same time my dad was passing, and it seemed like everything was falling apart at once. Honestly, I've felt like that for two years. I got to walk with my husband, two kids, and grandson yesterday, and it felt simply amazing. Today, my husband I took a four mile hike along the river, and it was definitely beautiful. The sun is still shining here. The horses have been marvelously happy. Tonight, we're attending the symphony, and I can't wait. Strangely, I feel optimistic about the future now, and I'm starting to wonder if my dad's struggles these last two years made everything else seem so much worse. Time will tell, but one thing is for certain, I plan to make the most of my own beautiful days.

Val Ewing said...

I had to turn my devices off and read a good book with a good dog.
That is until nature provided us with some incredible weather.

Those paths are icy aren't they? I wish I had a dog's ability to trot across the ice.

Any time spent outdoors in incredible [unless it is buggy and humid!].

Seems as though you are looking forward to Spring and possibilities!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Enjoy blue skies and sunshine but it is grey and snowing here and it will be weeks...maybe months before we see a patch of grass. I have to wait for my blue sky day so I can get some real sun! So jealous of your grass!! :) March is such a long unpredictable weather month up here.

aurora said...

Shirley, I can't wait to see what you did with your beautiful day!

Arline, it is SO good to hear from you!! I've been wondering how you & your's are doing. I even mentioned it to Brad this weekend. Truly hope we stay in touch!

I am glad you are feeling uplifted Linda. I agree 100% about nature's qualities. No doubt the symphony will give you all the feels, enjoy!

I really need to try unplugging for longer periods of time, Val. Good idea. I would no doubt benefit from it. Yes, I am very much looking forward to Spring!

Yes, blue skies are the best Connie! I love the blue with white powder puff low floaty clouds. Winter isn't done with us either, but it is nice to see nature change up.