4.21.2021

perpetual excitement

Disclaimer; this post has absolutely nothing to do with equine, and everything to do with art.

My art background goes back a loong way. I have always loved all forms of art. Some of my first memories related to art are of my third grade flamboyant art teacher. She wore flowing bright colors with her hair up in a thick bee hive. Always encouraging the many
 "I can't do it" students, like me. She would walk in between the desks and if she heard "I can't do it" encouraged art efforts by loudly saying over and over "you CAN, you CAN, never say you can't, you CAN!!". Obviously, it stuck in my head.

In middle school, I had another amazing dedicated art teacher. By this age, art was an elective. My favorite and final project (the only one I remember) the teacher cut large profiles of whatever artist students chose to learn about. We prepped the wood, researched the artist and wrote a short report on them. Of course there was a classroom art show. The artist profiles were everywhere wrapped around the room. The biggest challenge was painting in the chosen artists style. I chose Salvador Dali. I loved his warped clocks, and he was from Spain where my family is from. My mom kept my Dali for many years. Eventually she needed to downsize, and I didn't want him. H
e was huge. Sadly, I don't think I even have a photo of it.

I was fortunate to have more supportive art mentors in high school and college, and enjoyed dabbling in many kinds of art. I love drawing best, even if I am not a natural at it.
 

I am a firm believer that art is 90% practice and 10% talent.

Over the years, kids, work and life filled my time and doing any kind of art became wishful thinking. And clutter. My art easel and other college art stuff moved with me from place to place, collecting dust. Including an air compressor, and air brushing tools. I took the more practical and employable commercial route and became a Graphic (and eventually Web) Designer for many years. The field evolved and it became 100% computer work. You wouldn't believe how it was done back in the day! There is little creative and a lot of busy business type work, and babysitting. Lots and lots of babysitting adults. It all suited me well, but thankfully those days are all but over. 

An ad for a Perpetual Phenology Journal came across my feed and caught my eye. I had no clue what Phenology was. Shortly after another blogger 
(Far Side) mentioned similar. It was as if someone was trying to tell me something. I watched a video, read up on the concept and decided to give it a try. If interested, google it. There is gobs of related info online.

Phenology is "the study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life" in other words, taking note of what you observe in nature.

Decisions need to be made on how/often you want to revisit what you observe. For me, the perpetual part of my journal allows me flexibility within a month. I made 6 two page monthly spreads that represent a year. Some people date their journals daily or "week of" but calendar dates change every year. I wanted to eliminate pressure and be able to draw when motivated.



I chose a 6" x 8" journal with blank water color paper
80 double page spreads will last me forever

I think you all know by now I am a procrastinator. Sometimes even I surprise myself. Just like my third grade teacher said, I CAN do it!! I have not drawn anything since college. Starting over isn't going to be pretty. I hope know I will see improvement the more I draw and clear the cobwebs. I quickly found out my brain has all but forgotten how to distinguish shapes relationship to each other, and then transferring those observations on paper. It is 'um hard. Erasers are my friend. Regardless, I am super excited to re-learn and be drawing again!! The habit most likely won't last, but I consider drawing even once a win. Maybe my journal will morph into something else?

My graphite and colored pencils from college are still good. A few additional nature-ish colors would inspire me. So I found a coupon, picked out some new colored pencil shades, a couple Micron ink pens and couldn't leave this behind:


mini watercolor set
(was surprised that I love the water brush!)


Most Perpetual Phenology Journals are done in ink and water color. Both scare me, but I am willing to try. Again. For now I am drawing in pencil, coloring in pencil and highlighting in ink. I tried my mini portable water colors on my monthly fun color labels, to get a feel for the brush.



I used random colors for each page



my first drawing was Sydneys snow drops

It got kind of mucky. I've always struggled with over working my drawings, in my feeble attempt to be "perfect". Wow, water droplets are hard to draw. I'm planning to add some white gel highlights on the droplets and flower. I have to get back to the craft store, my white pen dried up. They sure don't last long, even in a ziplock.

My second day of drawing was a crow feather, from the crow encounter. I love feathers, and plan to draw many of my fine feather finds.


our first blue bird nest
in one of the two nesting boxes Brad (and Tank) made for me

My third day of drawing was extra humbling. Perspective is hard for me to draw. I also screwed up the interior of the nesting box. Sigh.

The sky is the limit on phenology journals. From the media used to the paper (many journals are homemade, even the paper) there are phenology wheels, specific types of nature/ways to study and absolutely endless approaches.

Phenology drawings are suppose to be done in the field. I might do some, or at least sit outside in "my spot" and draw from reference among the pines. Field drawing makes it more daunting for me. How does anyone draw a bird in the field, when they barely stay still long enough for a camera click? In my opinion, you make it your own. For now, I am using photos as ref and doing my journal my way. However you do it, is right for you. Don't feel the need to compliment or critique my drawing efforts. I am all too aware of my (lack of) drawing skills. My goal was to start. Check!! I had to blog about starting my journal, since I actually did it ~ ha ha! Maybe it will even motive someone to get outside and enjoy natures benefits in whatever way.


Looking forward to seeing where this drawing path leads me. I think it will be fun to figure out the monthly layers of drawing in future years, and see what changes. In nature, and in me. I CAN do it!



9 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That sounds so similar to what our teacher asked us to do in our Master Naturalist classes. I really am terrible at drawing but I did sit down and draw a map of sorts of our valleys and water flows along with some measurements of how our stream starts at point A and empties into Black Bottom at point B.

What wonderful Art Teachers! My grade school art teacher scolded me for making up my own colors for the world I see [probably why I like Infrared Photography]. I am so excited to see what you come up with!

I think I have seen drawings like yours at the KVR visitors center from others like yourself that have immersed themselves in the experience of nature.

Call me excited for this!

Linda said...

Drawing makes you tune in so much deeper to the subject. I took an online watercolor journaling course years back. I blogged about it. We used pencil to sketch, filled in with watercolor, then ink to trace and do borders. I had a portable set, a plastic watercolor brush that has a little water tank, and I’d buy large pieces of cold pressed paper, then cut them down to 5x7 or smaller.

Yes, you’re right about 90/10. Most people think others are just gifted, but I’ve always said the “gift is the passion.” Or the gift is the obsession. You have to love the process and the little bits. Sow down and enjoy them and savor the journey. Hey, it’s just like horsemanship!

I hope you share your journal and insights as you go along. I love to see the creativity of others.

Shirley said...

Phenology is a new concept to me. I'm sure you will have fun with it!
I had some excellent art teachers, took summer school classes Sadly, I don't have much drive to do my art work any more; I tend to start projects and then lose interest in them. It's hard for me to stay motivated!

aurora said...

Val, a similar Phenology concept would fit right in with a Naturalist class. Not sure where you were taking it, but the original ad that crossed my feed (and video that inspired me) was from our local Audubon society. WHY would a teacher be discouraging? Ugh! Especially with art. That is like saying the sun must always be yellow. Well, I've got news for that teacher - the sun most certainly is not always yellow! My younger grandson is artistic (and ironically shares my birthdate) his older brother corrected him for chalk drawing a blue sun on our driveway. You can bet I stepped in with a teaching moment. We "study" phenology with our nature photography. The difference with drawing, is what Linda said.

Linda, my little watercolor set came with a water brush too. I have a "pencil" version of one for stamping that I rarely use. I really like this new one. I still have my old brushes, but whatever I used for color years ago has long since dried up. I do like water color, you just can't erase it after you put the color down lol. For layering up/watering down I would need better paper. My journal is kinda cheapo, just something to get me started. I don't remember what cold press paper is, but the class you took sounds awesome!!

Shirley, phenology is new to me too. I have been meaning to ask you about your drawings, what I've seen you create is remarkable! Art is best when not forced, you either feel it or you don't. I do the same thing with more involved projects, start and lose interest. The thing with this perpetual journal, is the drawings are smaller. I can complete one in a sitting, and the subject variety is endless.

Judi said...

A few years ago, I decided to dust off my dormant art skills and see what happens. I set a goal of a sketch a day--whatever I feel like doing. I mostly do cats, flowers and horses--my favorite things in life. I have had so much fun with it, and when I look back, I can see that I have improved over time.

I hope you have as much fun as I have!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh You are inspired now! I love my water pens! I had a horrid art teacher in high school and wanted to learn how to draw...we made pottery and sat around talking that was it I was so disapointed. Then I took a beginning drawing class in Adult Ed and we had to draw something while not looking at the paper it was a total waste of time.
I have a book that my husband bought for me It is How to Draw with your Left Brain or something like that...the intro says to carve out a block of time everyday to draw...well around here that is impossible. I took an online drawing class and should go back and revisit that...I do like to learn new stuff!
Have fun with your journal! :)

aurora said...

Drawing daily would be a lofty goal for me. So great that you are sticking with it Judi!! I haven't tried drawing horses since I was a kid. I remember they were hard for me to draw.

I must be inspired, and amazed I actually started and finished several drawings already. It helps that they are not time consuming. You on the other hand have mastered completing projects Connie! I couldn't figure out what to draw the other day. So I didn't. Today, I found multiple things to draw. I should give my stamping water pens another try. I've used them about as much as my water color pencils. I bet you could tell ;)

Val Ewing said...

You said it best Aurora...Art is best when it is not forced and you just feel it.
Words to live by.

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's good that you are starting to work with your passion for art. Your drawings are very good. You are right that you can't and shouldn't be pressured and rushed, just do it when you feel like it and enjoy yourself!

I have absolutely no artistic/painting/drawing talent at all. So yes there are some of us out there that "can't do it"! Never had an art class in my whole life. The only thing I could possibly do is color in the lines in a coloring book...if I had the time for that. Somewhere along the genetic lines my one daughter is excellent at painting (she does oils) and could be a professional artist and she's a wonderful sculptor too. I wish I could show you some of her stuff. Won lots of awards in high school. I'm still waiting for a painting of my horse Erik one of these days. She just doesn't have the time with work and the horses so she doesn't paint anymore. It's a shame but maybe she'll start it again someday.