8.31.2016

sending off summer

Just a few more days before summer, it's wetness, heat & humidity, pesky bugs, and dreaded allergies, will be behind us. I hope. I love all four seasons. Really I do. We had a good summer, altho we didn't trail ride much. We just can't get Nemo's allergies under control...poor guy. I appreciate each season. They all pass too quickly, before the next one shows up with all it's good & not so good offerings. But I know first hand how allergies can rule your life. As I sit here with head fog, watery eyes and blowing my nose. This year allergies are ruling Nemo's life, and it sucks.

Right after my last post, our horse got switched back into the big pasture with shade. Nemo is still glued to Koda. It turns out shade isn't the only reason he follows him, instead it appears to be more of a comfort thing. Nemo doesn't follow Cierra around, just Koda. He has big lush Fabio like hair to hide under, and they've been together since birth. It is so uncharacteristic of Nemo (an alpha horse) makes me sad. In part his change in demeanor is the meds he is on. First one, then another, now two, higher doses, smaller doses - doesn't matter. None of it works. He is miserable. I can't wait for him to feel better.

The show season will also soon be behind us. One more show to go...Brad plans to compete in Ranch Trail for the first time, and also Ranch Pleasure and Conformation. It's a bigger show then the others, and I hope for Cierra's sake he finds a way to not be so nervous on day one. He is the only one who can.

My rides on Koda continue going well, and ever changing. He has switched back to favoring his right lead. Go figure. Darn counter canter really messed us up! We stopped working on that right after we barely started, guess we I am not ready yet. Need to get my lefts & rights, right. Right? No, left! Will be a challenge whenever we get back to it. Counter canter is so easy for him, and smooth. Such a smart horse, keeps my skills up. 

Among other things, we continue working on extended trot, two tracking and always soft releases & asks. I recently (re) started getting him to move his front half over. Turns on the haunches have always been my demise, and what happened to his side pass? In particular to the left...it's all good fun and Koda is being a really really good boy and putting up with me.

We haven't made any more progress with our land, other then checking on things...


securing the tarp

 ...and watching the alfalfa grow and grow, and grow. Sigh. We have had SO much rain this year! Much to Brad's dismay, we will have to cut a healthy looking fourth crop...and find a place to store it. The good third (first for grass) crop is in our neighbors barn, the stuff under the tarp got rained on while we were stacking. Not ideal, but most is okay. We won't have to cut grass again this year, the alfalfa on the other hand...


good problem to have?

Our gardens at home are weeds this year, I mean weird this year. Impossible to keep up with! We've enjoyed fresh veggies regardless. These Carmen Red Peppers are our favorite...




Other then that my life this summer has gone to the (grand) dogs. Thank goodness they eventually wear out...


10 weeks old vs 3 years old

We have some fun stuff planned for this Fall, horse and non-horse! It's hard to wait, but makes for good anticipation. Everyone will agree, Fall will be a nice change. Until next time, be well my friends!


6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

You've been busy. Hope the show goes well for Brad and Cierra. I used to get nervous in the beginning but then adopted a "who cares" attitude and it helped. I tried to view it as a way to see where we were in our training and what we needed to work on. Never cared about the ribbons or placings.

Allergies are the worst and I can't wait for the Fall. I'm not a summer person and can't wait for cooler weather.

Your pups are adorable. Having a little one is a lot of work but a lot of fun too. Although, I wish my 6 month old Aussie would start calming down soon.

Have fun riding Koda he sounds like he's doing really well and you are too.

C-ingspots said...

Oh, I do feel sorry for Nemo and his allergies (and you) - major drag! Hoping the change of seasons helps with that. The dogs are adorable! Lots of fun, and lots of headaches. :)
Wish we had some of your alfalfa. Our hay guy will get a 4th cut too. We usually prefer a ton of 4th because it's less stemmy and our old pair, Shad and Kadie love it!
Take care, and it was good to hear from you again.
fingers crossed for Brad and Cierra!

Shirley said...

Summer just flew by, i didn't get a lot done this year except for finding the right horse and a trip to Calgary for the Stampede. Fall works better for me. I have more energy in the cool air.
Poor Nemo, hope his allergies abate soon.
Good luck to Brad on his upcoming shows!

Carol Anne said...

Poor Nemo! I hope he is feeling better soon!! I've talked to so many people this year that have commented on how well things are growing! I suppose all the wetness has been good for something. I'm ready for fall though as the humidity has me burned out on summer...

Carol Anne said...

Poor Nemo! I hope he is feeling better soon!! I've talked to so many people this year that have commented on how well things are growing! I suppose all the wetness has been good for something. I'm ready for fall though as the humidity has me burned out on summer...

Sherry Sikstrom said...

oh my! we have had rain too! frustrating to get the hay up! But 4 cuts! Amazing