10.20.2012

what is familiar, is different

With each field harvest, we ride further out & around the home farm. Not the most scenic area, yet beauty is found with every turn. What is familiar, is found to be different. One just needs to open their eyes, and mind, to see that nature is forever evolving...

farmfields
southeast fields
...September was so dry, we didn't need to wait for harvest to ride the north side of the farm. It's amazing how green things were, with our lack of rain...

koda_farm2
north fields
...we rode side rows of sparse corn back to the pasture, and that was nothing but an irresistible tease. I'm sure Koda thoroughly enjoyed having food to snatch at nose level. I on the other hand was afraid I was creating a monster. My hubby reminded me not to make such a big deal out of it. I love how he brings me back to my senses, with a simple comment. As long as Koda listens in normal situations, I was okay with his inevitable snacking...

koda_farm_looking
north fields

...we typically ride the wooded paths at some point, ending at the clearing below...


nemo_clearing
Nemo & Brad

On our way back to the pasture from another ride we took heading south, we passed a monster sized harvester kickin' up some dust...

dustyfields
heading back to the pasture

...with each trail ride the realization increases that Koda's playful (sometimes naughty) personality isn't going to change. He tests, and if you give it to him, he will gladly take it. I'm okay with that, as long as he listens and responds. He makes me a better horseperson. I'll definitely never be bored on a trail ride! Maybe someday Koda will change, after all he is only five, but ya know what - I'm not sure I want him to.

farmride_latesept
sloping colorful southeast fields

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I like your hubby's attitude and yours , essentially , "don't sweat the small stuff" Love the pics, looks like great riding

aurora said...

Thanks Sherry! I can get myself in a lather pretty easily, it never does any good - but as you said "not sweating the small stuff", works every time!